Thursday, April 15, 2010

Planning

I like to plan, meaning that I like to think about what else I can be doing soon that I'm not yet getting to do. But I'm a bit scattered in the planning. Just ask Josh. He and I recently put on our family calendar an appointment to meet at 8:00pm on Tuesday night for one hour. We even had an agenda. Yes, an agenda.

When we sat down (only 10 minutes late since we had to ensure the kids were getting ready for bed as we had asked them to), we found that we had already talked about two of the agenda items via our conversations throughout the day. Check, check.

Then came the topic of Galveston.

We have a tradition dating back to when Katelyn was 6 weeks old (1998) - an annual trip to Galveston to spend two days on the beach. Not the greatest beach, but a beach nonetheless - one that's easy to access and, given our lack of pickiness about quality of water and sand, fun to swim in. And it's become a tradition for Josh's Houston-based family to join us, to eat at The Spot once for lunch, eat at Fish Tales once for dinner (ever since the Ocean Grill was razed by the hurricane), and stay in one of the nearby condominiums with a pool (we recommend the Dawn Condominiums, by the way).

2002:



2009:


2001:



2009:




Through some coordination of schedules, we will be able to convene again in Galveston this year, along with my recently-retired parents and their 90-pound dog, Bwenzi. Happily, we have a wee bit more planning needed for Beach Vacation 2010.

While we continue talking (each sitting on one side of our nice desk system that Josh built, each in front of a computer), I am in the trip-planning zone now. But, much to Josh's understandable irritation, I'm no longer thinking about the Galveston trip. I am instead on to exploring flight deals from American Airlines. Maybe a trip to New York...or Boston...anywhere that has a good deal! Did I mention that I'm a bit scattered when it comes to planning?

With Josh's chemotherapy schedule, we're planned out at least through May 12th when he'll get a round of scans to see how his noma has reacted to the chemicals they've pumped through his system (both on March 31st and upcoming on April 21st). If the tumors have shrunk or are the same, then we'll continue on with the same cocktail. If they've continued to grow, we'll try something different.

Can I plan on the most favorable outcome? Probably not. But I will hope. And I can plan to be supportive, patient, loving and strong.

I'm certainly planning Josh and my 17th wedding anniversary trip already. December 28th will be here faster than you think...

No comments:

Post a Comment