Thursday, March 11, 2010

What Now?

Today I find myself in a weird position. I don't have any doctor appointments. I don't have any CT or PET or MRI tests scheduled. I have most of my hospital paperwork done. What do I do now? Dealing with my noma has been such a whirlwind of activity as of late, it has seemed almost like a full time job. Everything was centered around it. But now because I can't get in to see the doc down at MD Anderson until the 24th, and my doc up here doesn't need to see me until after I see that doc, I find myself staring at an Outlook calendar that doesn't have anything on it. Anna has gone back to the office. There is not much else to do now but wait. I guess I could get back to my regular job. I have a full set of kitchen cabinets sitting in my shop that need to be delivered to a woman that has been very patient and understanding. Feels weird to return to a "normal" schedule.

The other day Anna and I went to Panda Express after a doctor visit. I wanted to share the saying that I got in my fortune cookie: "You will have many friends when you need them." Just want to say a big thanks to all of you that have shown me such love and support over these past few weeks. I am a very blessed man.

One last thing. Want to share a bible verse my mom read to me this past weekend.

Joshua 1:9
"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go."

2 comments:

  1. Amen to that, Josh. Thanks so much for sharing your journey and faith with us. We love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there, Josh. I fought lymphoma in 2003, my mother-in-law had ovarian cancer, then sarcoma in 2005/2007, and I've cared for numerous cancer patients. In my opinion, the uncertain time period during which you are waiting a definitive diagnosis and treatment plan is the most challenging...You want something concrete to tell your family and friends, and the time passes slowly. I'm sorry to hear about the vacationing MD Anderson physician. Once the ball starts rolling and you start treatment, you will feel better, simply because action is being taken.
    Anna, hang in there, too. Cancer is hard on the caregiver, because you feel so helpless. Sounds like you are doing a wonderful job.
    You and your family are in my prayers.
    If you decide to get your treatments at MD Anderson, please know that you are welcome to stay with the Schriner-Bortolotti family in Clearlake at any time. It's not exactly adjacent to MD Anderson, but you'd be with friends.
    Julie Schriner-Bortolotti

    ReplyDelete