Wednesday, March 10, 2010

History 101

One of the things that I have done to help me with the battle I find myself in is to create an "Inspirational" playlist on my iPhone that contains songs that can't help but lift my spirits. I play a couple of songs before I go to bed every night and I really crank them up when I am on the stairmaster or the elliptical at 24 Hour Fitness every morning.

One of the songs is Tubthumping by Chumbawamba. Strange name and I am not sure the overall meaning of the song, but I can tell you that I love the chorus. It has become my mantra. It is a loud, heart pumping repetition of:


I get knocked down, but I get up again
You're never gonna keep me down


This is a good summary of my experience up to this point. About fifteen years ago I was diagnosed with a degenerative disk in my lower back. Over the years it would flare up from either stress or physical exertion, but I would take a couple of Ibuprofen and relax a bit and I would be back to normal. This last time that didn't happen. Back in September or October, I actually don't really remember exactly when, I started having an episode that wasn't going away. I went to Texas Back Institute in search of some answers. The x-ray again confirmed the degenerative disk, physical therapy was prescribed along with some over-the-counter pain med and I was sent on my way. Did the exercising thing, bought (and later returned) a Tempur-Pedic bed, went to a chiropractor, used an inversion table - all done in the attempts to stop the back pain. You name it, I tried it. With the exercises and the Naproxin I seemed to be managing the pain. I would have my good days and some would be bad. However, I was never able to kick the Naproxin. Fed up, I headed back to Texas Back Institute in February to get a MRI done of my back in hopes of identifying something else that may be going on back there. Well, they found something. After two MRI's on the same day my back doctor has me in his office telling they found Lymphoma back there.

I get knocked down, but I get up again
You're never gonna keep me down


They refer me over to the North Texas Oncology and to Dr. Stokoe. He orders some tests: a body CT scan and a biopsy of the mass in my back. They throw out the name lymphoma and insert the name carcinoma. "Melanoma, carcinoma, some kind of noma." For some reason that I am still not sure why, the biopsy comes back inconclusive. However, the CT scan shows a couple more masses in my chest.

I get knocked down, but I get up again
You're never gonna keep me down


Dr. Stokoe orders a full body PET scan along with a head and neck CT scan and another biopsy on the mass in my chest. I drink the radioactive milkshake and have my PET scan. The technician, "off the record," tells me that several more spots light up, technical speak for "not good."

I get knocked down, but I get up again
You're never gonna keep me down


I have the other biopsy done on March 5th. By this time I have decided to apply for treatment at MD Anderson hospital down in Houston because it is supposed to be one of the highest rated cancer hospitals in the country. My wonderful little brother, who has been helping with the whole MD Anderson thing, uses his contacts from UT Houston med school to get the name of the doc his advisers think I should see. The good doc agrees to see me, but he is on vacation until March 24th.

I get knocked down, but I get up again
You're never gonna keep me down


I go to Plano Medical where I had my biopsy done and make the request that they send some samples down to MD Anderson so that they can also run the necessary tests. Plano Medical, however, stops their testing and sends the whole kit-and-kaboodle down to MD. I was wanting two separate places to test it so that we could have two independent reports. Not happening.

I get knocked down, but I get up again
You're never gonna keep me down


Today, my head and neck CT scan were clear. Finally a victory! Dr. Stokoe calms me down on the whole biopsy shipping debacle and the delay in seeing the doc down at MD Anderson. Today is a good day.

4 comments:

  1. So Cool! Fightin' it. (I think I wrote Fittin' it, last time. :( Fit to Fight!) I'm a dork.

    PUmp up song: Beautiful Day - U2

    Have an exceptional day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. let's hear it for good days. Here's to many more victorys on your road to good health. Our God is a God of miracles, I've seen it & fully expect to see more through you. Keep singin...

    ReplyDelete
  3. chumbawamba, really? Obviously, that 50% of DNA that I DON'T share with you makes a big difference when it comes to music.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes!

    Tears are thankful right now!

    ReplyDelete