Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Some Kind of Noma

The title of this blog comes from a favorite movie of mine called Fletch. Made back in the 80's, it stars Chevy Chase as an investigative reporter for a Los Angeles newspaper. In his adventures, a man attempts to hire Fletch to murder him because he says he is dying of cancer. Fletch isn't buying any of it and so he starts to investigate. The trail leads him to a hospital where, posing as a doctor (Dr. Rosenrosen), he manages to make his way to the records room. After conning the nurse to let him see the medical records of this man it is then that Fletch delivers the comedic line to the nurse, "one of my associates was doing a biopsy on this man very recently, and they said he had melanoma, carcinoma, or some kind of noma." That hilarious line that I have laughed at many a time has changed for me.

Turns out I have some kind of noma.

It still feels surreal saying that. I am in the middle of a bad dream and I keep waiting to wake up.

I have been told that among the many other things, such as diet and exercise, that journaling can be therapeutic and useful in coping with this bomb that has been dropped on me. I have chosen to blog instead. It has been so long since I have written anything of any length by hand that I believe I would have to up the dosage of my pain meds to cope with the hand cramps that would come about if I were to hand write a journal. Plus I plan to utilize this blog as another tool- a source of information for the many wonderful friends and family that have reached out to me. I quickly realized that if I wanted to personally respond to every inquiry I receive as to my status, that it would take a great deal of time and I would have to severely have to cut back on everything else I am trying to do.

So what you are going to get by reading this blog is some of my thoughts and feelings as I take this journey with my noma, as well as updates on my care and physical condition.

5 comments:

  1. Fightin' It! I am with you and looking forward to complete healing and playing basketball again.

    I am also going to pull out one of my top 10 fav movies, Fletch, and watch it again. Love it.

    Keep writing, keep praying, keep trusting.

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep strong Josh! We'll be following your journey closely, and keeping the prayers going!

    I too will have to watch Fletch again:)

    Hang in there,

    Faith

    ReplyDelete
  3. i don't really know what to say. this is the first i am hearing of this. i can't begin to tell you, josh, how this has affected me.

    what i do know is that you and your health and your family are deep in my heart and my mind.

    i won't stop wishing and hoping and praying that things will work out for the best.

    i believe things work out.

    i believe that courage and will can overcome.

    i believe in you, my friend.

    i believe in you.

    and i am here for you, always.

    --
    marcus

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are in our prayers Josh. Please let us know what your familie's needs are & Rick & I will be right there. God is at work on your healing right this minute, I am sure of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Josh, as you may remember, I am a cancer survivor - 13 years this week. I know exactly what is going on in the head as well as the body. Now, listen and listen good - you fight like hell. Do exactly what the doctors tell you - question what they tell you and never say "it is what it is". God has a plan and it's frustrating not to know what that plan is. I can tell you as a cancer patient, my inspiration is my daughter. I took her to every doctor's appointment, every treatment, everywhere. I want the medical people to know that I have a child who needs me. You want to watch your children grow into fine young men and women - you want to walk your daughter down the aisle to marry the man of her dreams, you want to bounce grandbabies on your knee. You try everything you can so that you can do everything you want to do and see all that you want to see. You fight with everything and when it gets really tough you fight even harder. God will be doing it all the way with you. Right now you are overwhelmed and frightened. I get it - I was there 13 years ago. Just remember, it ain't over till the fat lady sings and this fat lady ain't singing for a very long time. You are loved and prayed for everyday and I can be there at a moment's notice to do whatever needs to be done. Just call and say come! If you need to talk, cry or just sit, it's ok. Again you are loved and know that God is holding you very gently in the palm of his hand. Jill

    ReplyDelete