Sunday, March 28, 2010

Time to start cutting

The doc from MD Anderson said he would call us on Friday to go over the test results and talk about treatment. Noon comes and goes and no call. Anna tries calling his nurse. Twice. No return call. Five o'clock rolls around and still no call. I figure there is no way that any doc is going to call after five on a Friday afternoon. My brother, who has plans to go out with friends, can't drink because, as the scientist in my entourage, he is supposed to be on the conference call with us asking all the smart sciency questions. I instant message Anna at work, "$5 says he doesn't call." Her reply is a simple "grrr." I call my brother and tell him he might as well go ahead and start drinking. Guess I will have the weekend to sit and wait for Monday to come around. Doctors.

Then to my surprise Anna comes in the door after driving home from work and she has the doc on the phone. Guess I'm out $5. We conference my brother in and start the call that I have been waiting for since the discovery of my own personal noma. It's time to take the offensive - it's time to start cutting. My doc goes over the test results: head MRI - clear, chest x-ray - clear, blood work - clear, chest CT scan - nothing new. He then goes over what he wants to do.

I won't even attempt to put that in here, because quite frankly, I can't. All I heard were a bunch of big funny words thrown around. It's like Woody Harrelson's character in the movie Doc Hollywood: "I could have gone to med school. It was just the science part that would have given me trouble." That is why I have my brother on the call. The doc seems to have a clear battle plan drawn up with a couple of backups in case the first doesn't work. I say I am ready to go, how soon can we start. Wednesday is the day. Anna and I are looking to go down a little earlier to see if we can take advantage of some of the other therapies that MD Anderson offers, such as acupuncture. All in all, I should be getting about seven hours of chemo for the first round.

If you have some extra time to pray that day, please send a few extra my way.

It's time to start cutting.

6 comments:

  1. I know you are relieved to have a plan of action and a start date...lots of prayers that day and everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jill here -

    Sounds like everything is in place. (so to speak). Now remember, fight with all your might and pray with all your soul. The Marthas have been and will be praying for you. Love to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you now have a plan of trestment. Now our prayers can ask for specfic cures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to hear on the 'clear' - go get'em on the 'nothing new noma'. As Jill says, fight with all you got. when you have nothing left and you head is low - let us know and we will come by and hold your hands, hold your arms support you in any way you need or want. We can even come by and just watch a few old movies with ya and laugh at all the right parts. Please dont hesitate to ask for anything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. prayers will be continuing from here. Let's beat this thing! Anything else we can do, consider it done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know the waiting was hard but I feel a lot better knowing the full picture now. I'll be ready on Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete