Friday, August 20, 2010

Status Update

Went down to MD Anderson yesterday for what was supposed to be an ultrasound, MRI and biopsy of the node they found in my neck during the last CT scan. Didn’t happen. Got in there for the 10 a.m. ultrasound and based on what they saw they said the node did not have the characteristics of a malignant tumor. It is probably a cyst and so they cancelled the MRI and biopsy. They didn’t convey this info very effectively to me and so my wife, my brother, and I sat around until a 2:15 head and neck doctor appointment (not with my regular doc) in hopes of getting some answers.

At the appointment the cyst issue was cleared up but another red flag came up. The resident doc sitting in on the appointment pointed out an irregularity in my tonsils. After bringing up the PET scan from June she noticed that the right tonsil was “lighting up” more than the left. It could be nothing, but it could be something.

So now I head back down to Houston on Thursday, August 26th to prep for a biopsy on that tissue and possibly to have my tonsils taken out on Friday the 27th (which, by the way, is my mom’s birthday. Happy birthday, mom!!!!!). Just the present every mom longs for: her child having surgery.

I don’t know if my frustration is coming through in my words, but yesterday was not a good day. The possibility that the cancer spread to my tonsils is not a comforting thought. Especially just having come off chemo treatments.

2 comments:

  1. Hang tough & keep swinging. Sounds like you might have it on the ropes. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Joshua, I would give up this birthday and all the ones to come for you to be well. You are my precious son, a gift from God, and I praise Him for you!!!I look forward to spending my B-day with you-praying while you are getting better! And remember your verse Joshua 1:9-"Be strong and courageous (YOU ARE STRONG and YOU ARE COURAGEOUS!!!) Do not be terrified(sometimes we are) do not be discouraged,(and we do get discouraged when it seems like it is one thing after another) (Now- here is our HOPE) for the Lord your God will be with YOU wherever YOU go." And He will. I'll Love You Forever, Mom

    ReplyDelete