Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Another trip to MD Anderson

At 4:45am yesterday morning, I wake to hear Josh getting his things together to head to Houston yet again. I can't go, once again, because work priorities supersede. It's not, however, without guilt. I should be with my hubby during this, even when he's not getting chemo. But alas, I can't make the time work this go-around.

I don't want to get up. I was up until nearly midnight the night before (after a nice family dinner and swim before the kids went to bed) and it's not even light out yet. But I can't just roll over and go back to sleep. Gotta see them off. I slide out of bed to make Josh a smoothie for the road with every intention of crawling right back in after they leave.

Josh gets the kids up and they bring their pillows and final packs of belongings they want to take along with them on the ride and stay at Grammy and Papa's house. The kittens know something is up - they're roaming around asking for pets from anyone who will stop to give them. Kate lies down on the floor and cuddles with Trinity for a few minutes and asks me to be sure to give her (and Kobi) love while she's gone. "Can she sleep in your room with you?" Kate asks. "Hmmmm....probably not." "But she won't keep you awake! She sleeps with me all the time!"

The kids love early morning departures. Ethan is a morning person so typically springs out of bed any day of the week before it's even light out. Even more so if we've planned an outing (like golfing, which he's recently gotten into) or school is in session. Kate forces herself to be a morning person when school is in session, but the summer is another story. She revels in late night shenanigans and loves her sleeping in until at least 10:30am days. But for trip, she's up, smiling, packing up the car, etc.

I see my family off in the darkness of the early morning. Back to bed for me. But after 10 minutes of attempts to shut off my brain and fall back asleep, I give up. I work on my laptop at home, then pause to get presentable to go into work, go into work and work all day. Unlike most times when my family is gone and I have the house to myself for a few days, I'm not up to the later-night movie viewing this time. I'm in bed by 8:15pm.

From my check-in calls throughout the day yesterday, I understand that Josh survives the first round of scans yesterday which focused on his head and neck.

Fast forward to today. Interesting news...

Josh survives today's scans as well, focused on his chest, abdomen and pelvis. But they were more than he expected to have. Not only did he have an IV, he also had to drink 2 "barium drinks" (his description if I heard him correctly on the phone). I'm thankful to his brother for being with him both yesterday and today since I can't. It helps to share the experiences (at least a portion of them) with someone and share conversations in the drive, at lunch, in waiting rooms.

I get a call back from a member of Josh's care team at MD Anderson after leaving them a message early this morning. The interesting news: Josh's doctor is considering going two more rounds of chemo. But only if:
1. The scans from yesterday and today show continued shrinkage and healing in the bones and other areas affected by the cancer.
2. Josh feels like he's up to two more.

Unfortunately I deliver the news to Josh via phone when he and his brother are eating lunch. Hopefully I don't ruin Josh's appetite today with the thought of enduring two more sessions with the "Wonder Juice." We'll know more tomorrow after the appointment with the doctor. Regardless, we'll defer the sessions until after our week-long vacation to NY/Canada that starts soon.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, it's Eric's friend Rob)If you ever need someone to give Josh a ride to Houston, I am happy to do that. I don't have a lot to do until late Aug and even then I am not sure school will be a possibility for financial reasons... So please feel free to ask! My number is 972-922-6299

    Robert Sedaker
    rsedaker@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete