Thursday, July 22, 2010

Exercising the mind

Josh is continuing to get better and better, stronger and stronger, but still isn't 100% himself yet. The annoying coating on the tongue still plagues him, making things taste funny. But he continues to eat well and worked out at the gym this morning. And emotions are still closer to the surface than usual.

Last week my sister, a busy mother of two young kids who's a middle school science teacher and team lead in St. Louis, took a few days to come visit us sans her family. It was her first time to see the house we've lived in for nearly 10 years...so it was a special treat. Thanks for making the time, sis!

She and Josh and to some degree the kids spent some time together while I was at work, but we spent the evenings hanging out and talking. I also took an extra long lunch break to meet my sis and Josh down at the West End for lunch and then a visit to the Bodies exhibit (without Josh since he'd been able to see it with a couple of friends a few months back). At the end of the tour through the amazing exhibit (I highly recommend it), my sister bought a book on Neurobics - ways to exercise the mind in creative ways. It'll get passed on to my folks when they come into town this weekend...they're big on ways to remain sharp after retirement.

From the book's suggestions, I've tried showering with my eyes closed and driving a different way to work. Next up: maneuvering to my car in the morning for my regular commute with my eyes closed. I just need to be careful to not spill my smoothie ibn the process (like I did on our sitting room carpet before church one Sunday)!

And while my sister was here, she helped me make progress on an eye-bending jigsaw puzzle for more "neurobics" (I love jigsaw puzzles, but Josh is not at all a fan but tolerates the card table taking up some of the TV room space occasionally). Here's the puzzle finally complete:



Look at all those annoyingly similar pieces:

No comments:

Post a Comment